Build Times?

Let’s be honest (its anonymous anyways) for .NET DEVELOPERS ONLY! Think about your normal build as you work (not a production build etc)

1. Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink | Reply

What do you mean by build?

1) Build of the solution (ctrl-shift-b). Ours takes 2m45s. I never do this
    2) Build the project you’re interested in + any dependencies. Ours takes 5 to 15 seconds

Neither of these run any unit tests.

For comparison, our CI build which runs unit and integration tests takes 15 minutes.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink | Reply

ctrl+shift+b would be the best measure but it varies heavily depending what you are building (incremental builds)

2. Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink | Reply

Full build takes slightly more than a minute. During normal development incremental one varies from 5s to ~45s (same as full, but without unit-test projects), so I picked <30s variant as somewhat in between.

3. Alex
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

When I start “all build” task, I can do things like that, read a blog and post a comment.. =D

4. Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

When running tests that are integration test with the platform we develop on, no way to escape the penalty of waiting :(

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] did an informal survey a while ago and the results were frankly abysmal. I cannot understand how people work in such environments. I [...]

2. By How to make your build faster | FreeShareHere on March 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm